Before Taking a Picture and Recording a Speaker – Media Release Procedures
The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences requires that a media release form must be completed for all traditional and electronic media (e.g., photographs, video, audio footage, and testimonials) that are obtained from non-Virginia Tech individuals.
The following outlines the procedures that must be followed to comply with current federal and state laws.
- For non-Virginia Tech individuals who are minors, a completed media release form must be on file before any medium is created. The minor’s parent or legal guardian must sign the media release form along with the minor.
- Individuals who are recorded for position interviews must indicate their consent for a recording by completing a media release form prior to the interview.
- An up-to-date form must be retained for three years after the medium is last used. Completion of the form does need not be repeated each year, but only when changes are made.
- The unit from which the media originates must keep the completed media release form on file until three years after the media was last used.
- In the case of a multi-purpose form (e.g., one that covers event registration as well as the media release statement), program participants need to be given the option to opt out of the media release statement. Keep in mind that the parent’s/legal guardian’s signature as well as the minor’s signatures are required.
- Media Release Form (PDF | 139KB)
- Media Release Text for Inclusion on an Existing Form (DOCX | 23KB) (e.g., registration or sign-up form)