The Virginia Tech content management system (CMS) uses Google Analytics to track visitors to all college and Extension websites in the CMS.
If you would like access to a specific website's data, send a request to Julie Crichton to be authorized to access your site's analytics.
Note: Because PDF download information is not available in Google Analytics, please contact Julie to request PDF metrics.
How to navigate Google Analytics
- Once you've been granted access to a particular CALS and/or VCE website, navigate to google.com/analytics in your browser.
- Log in with your Virginia Tech Gmail password, and switch to your vt.edu account if you have more than one Google account cached in your browser.
- To find statistics on a particular webpage or group of pages in the same folder, use the left sidebar to drill down to the grouping you're looking for. The Audience tab is open by default, and it can give you general overview information about pageviews and visitors for the whole site. For more specific page information, click on the Behavior tab for more options:
- Follow the URL path to guide you on this drill down. You'll do this by clicking on the folder names in the left-most sidebar (i.e. Follow http://www.communications.cals.vt.edu/services/web-development/index.html and click through the various folders separated by the "/" marks until you reach the page you wish to view).
- You can change the date range and compare to a previous date range in the upper right corner of the page at any time.
- If you wish to add a secondary dimension (i.e. visitor location), choose your dimension from the pull-down list between the graph and chart.
- Your data can be exported as raw data and as reports.